Serverless is cloud computing for:
Software and services to run without you and your company investing time and resources provisioning, scaling or managing servers.
How does it work?
Serverless operates in reality on a concept where, technically speaking, your code and services will run on servers. Who manages the serversis the key here.
Traditional setup and design: Servers commonly run inOn-premise data centers. Your company covers all the conditions in this scenario for the servers to run, including connectivity, security, power and water supply, space, cooling, and all the associated charges
In a Serverless design, the Cloud provider performs the whole server administration. Due to massive economies of scale, costs for the same activities operated in Traditional designs,are comparatively lower The concept allows charging for actual useage of resources only -and not charging for idle time.
We can see graphically how this works:
What are the advantages?
- Faster delivery – from concept to market quickly: Without the need to provide the environment, the times to release applications, activate services, gather feedback, and optimized iterations.
- Lower your costs: Pay for what you use & increase operational savings.
- Scale by design: Serverless application technology focuses on making your applications scalable. Applications and services have virtually unlimited resources and can respond to increasing demand directly from a logical perspective.
- Building better and more robust solutions: The ecosystem of libraries for a selected programming language plus the close connection to existing services enable this.
Now let’s review some numbers…
What services are available as Serverless?
- Serverless functions: Your developers generate code to run after events or invocations. This code can interact with different services from the Cloud provider or with services from the outside.
- Serverless containers: Containerized applications are another technique for service and solution development. This basically encapsulates the whole environment the application needs to run. Containers can be managed directly by the cloud provider.
- Serverless integration: Integrating, coordinating, and providing messaging between the serverless components help to decouple them, thus making them more resilient, independent, and reusable.
- Serverless datastore: Storing information on databases or file storage on demand and without worrying about the storage manager layer is also possible with Serverless computing.
Where can I find more information?
Here are some resources from the most significant Serverless providers:
- Serverless Computing – Amazon Web Services
- Azure Functions Serverless Compute | Microsoft Azure
- Google cloud platform – Serverless
We hope you enjoyed this short blog about Serverless computing. If you want to know more, please send us a line, we are happy to talk about the technology and its benefits for daily life and companies.